[Vision2020] digital television

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 03:13:02 +0000

All:

We are not likely to see a huge dumping of analog TVs when the analog "on
air" broadcasts are stopped for these reasons:

1) Video D/A converter boxes will come down in price over time and increase
in demand, like most things electronic.  So if your analog TV has years
left, it will be cheap to just get a converter box rather than a new digital
TV.

2)  People will keep their analog tuner TVs to watch VHS, DVD, Laserdiscs,
etc. as these will all still work of course.  The analog TV can be kept as a
second set in the bedroom, for example, to watch VHS or DVD movies.  I know
some people who only use their TV to watch movie rentals anyways.

3)  Many people now do not watch "on air" TV but have cable or satellite.
These service providers can keep sending signals that will be compatible
with analog tuners with a converter box supplied if needed.  I believe some
cable providers are digital now and do supply converter boxes to convert
this signal to analog.  Direct TV and Dish network send the satellite
downlink digital now, and the satellite receivers convert it to analog.   I
expect they will continue to use this model and not demand all their
customers to get TVs with digital tuners.

4)  When people wake up and realize how they are wasting their life watching
TV, most TVs will be used as end tables or potted plant holders or
conversation pieces about the folly of their former lives as vidiots.  The
unused CRTs will be popular objects to paint and decorate to express ones
freedom of thought and uniqueness, rather than being used as they are now to
control and conform individual's thoughts from afar.
Environmental awareness in this new enlightened world will preclude mass
dumping of these toxic artifacts of a bygone age.

Ted, currently a vidiot