[Vision2020] The Bleeding Hasn't Stopped...

Philip Cook pcook@uidaho.edu
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:02:48 -0700

On 15 Apr 2003 at 14:03, Dale Courtney wrote:

> MSD states: "The information we have seems to indicate that families with
> children are leaving the area in larger numbers than other families with
> children are coming to Moscow."
>
> That statement is factually incorrect (when I was a kid, we called it a lie;
> but that's politically incorrect these days -- we cannot say that
> politicians are lying, unless they are not in our own Party).
>...etc.

MSD doesn't claim the statement is fact. Notice the verb used is
"seems." Look up the definition in your favorite dictionary. Compare to
the definition of "fact." Any difference?

"Conjecture" is what the statement is.

Word definitions---something I was taught in government school.

Philip Cook
Moscow