[Vision2020] The Bleeding Hasn't Stopped...

Mike Curley curley@turbonet.com
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:27:15 -0700

I have retained below two paragraphs of your post
regarding MSD.  Unfortunately you either didn't read very
carefully or are knowingly comparing doughnuts to
doorknobs.  I am not quarreling with whatever your
ultimate point may be, simply that you are using an
inapposite statistical comparison to support it.

The MSD website states that the chart shows "where the
students who left our elementary school went."  That
information was gathered early last year when the
community and district were discussing whether a levy
increase should be submitted to a vote.  It was primarily
suggested MSD was losing students INTRA-CITY to other
educational opportunities.  When students transfer from
MSD, the district usual receives a records request from
the student's new district or school (not from home
schoolers usually).  Therefore, much of the data
presented comes from that feedback from the new
school or district.

Further, that information is in no way inconsistent with
your contention that people who are moving to the
Moscow area are choosing other educational alternatives.
 I did not see, and do not think you will find, any statement
by MSD administration that argues that the percentage of
"new kids" to the area who attend MSD is as high as it was
in 1990.

Again, I am not making any claims to educational
superiority of one institution over another (for your kids,
my kids, or all kids), but I do not think you will find any
study that has been done that shows that families new to
the area have predominantly chosen other institutions
because they investigated and found MSD to be inferior.  If
you were to conduct that study under appropriate
scientific principles, you MIGHT find that to be the
ultimate conclusion.  Or you might find that most of those
who chose alternatives had a predisposition to do so.
Some (maybe many?) moved to the area primarily so that
they could send their children to Logos, or one of the only
charter schools in the state, or had always home schooled
their children and were disinclined to send their children
to public schools regardless of how highly rated they
might be.

So, again, I argue not with whatever your ultimate
conclusion may be, but simply that you cannot use the
statistics you presented to suggest that the majority of
families/students LEFT the MSD to find other educational
alternatives IN THE AREA.

It is certainly true that if a family leaves the area and
accordingly removes its children from MSD and that
family is "replaced" by a family of home-schooled children
(or children who attend a private school), enrollment will
decline.  I suspect it would be a much tougher study to
determine the "net" demographics of the families to leave
and enter MSD boundaries within the next few years.

Mike Curley

</color>I want to throw more cold water on their contention

(http://www.sd281.k12.id.us/GeneralInformation/files/mov
emen

t.pdf) that families with children are leaving the area.

That's a bunch of hooey and they know it. All the census

bureau statistics show that the number of school-aged

children in the MSD region has increased by 20 percent!
They

were talking about all the local housing that's being built

for families -- yet the number of kids continues to decline.

I would like to see MSD school board get their heads out of

the sand and acknowledge what the census statistics

definitively show: - First, people are moving to Moscow
and

not putting their kids in the government schools. - Second,

that in 1990 private-school students made up 12.7 % of

Moscow's total K-12 enrollment; those
private/homeschoolers

made up 20% in the 2000 census.