[Vision2020] Metaphors, agendas, etc.

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 11:02:38 -0700

Thanks, Doug, for the advice that I should consult Credenda Agenda for a
more thorough discussion of metaphor, but I think we can agree that there’s
no need to teach grandma how to suck eggs.  My understanding of the concept
of metaphor is sufficient without recourse to the Christ Church vanity
press.

(Rosemary, however, will be taking you up on your offer.  I’m sure we all
look forward to the results.)

About the Logos school board--personally, I don’t give a tinker’s cuss if
you stack it with all men, all women, or licorice all-sorts.  I support and
defend your right to construct your private organization as you see fit.  (I
also support Augusta National’s right to its all-male golf club.  And the
right of women’s organizations to protest--loudly--and to pressure the PGA
to drop the club.  I think freedom of assembly and freedom of expression are
both grand ideas.)  The relevant questions here, as others before me have
tried to explain, are what is your rationale for excluding women from
leadership positions, and what effect does this have on your public policy
agenda?  These are issues of local concern, as this letter from former city
council member John Guyer to Christ Church regarding the breast ordinance
makes clear:

“Greetings,

As you may know, the Public Nudity ordinance was successfully amended last
night to prohibit women from bearing their breasts where they can be seen in
public. The precise wording is better then what we had a week ago (referred
to by some as the "suspender ordinance"). Clear definitions are included to
provide guidance for law enforcement. While this ordinance is still,
somewhat unique, in its precise wording, I believe it is the best that this
council would accept, and clearly the one the Lord provided.

The amended ordinance will be effective after it has been published (tonight
or tomorrow night). Consequently, the few remaining hours of "freedom" that
these young women have will likely result in a very public display.

I would like to thank each of you for your encouragement, prayers, and
support. The saints became salt and light to a tasteless, dark world. Many
still do not know "what the big deal is" despite the salt and light. Please
continue that God would have mercy on their souls, and grant them hearts of
repentance. As all law, this ordinance does nothing but provide ink on
paper. Its existence, efficaciousness and long term viability are all in Him
and through Him.

John B. Guyer”

http://www.geocities.com/thekrazyceltic/714-720.html

Christ Church/Logos/New St. Andrews is not an isolated group of believers
who have no interest in politics.  You are social reformers.  You want to
change things in the world outside of your church.  I don’t condemn you for
this--like any good democrat, I believe in full participation, and vigorous
opposition.  But be honest about it.  Dispense with the sophistry, the
obfuscation, and the nonsensical gibberish.  What are your ideas?  What are
your plans?  What agenda do you have in mind for the City of Moscow, and
what effect might it have on us non-Christ Churchers if enacted?  Enquiring
minds want to know.  I want to know.

Sincerely,
Auntie Establishment (though the IRS calls me Mary Joan Opyr)

PS: Melynda is correct.  I do regard the Trinity as a decorative fiction.
Likewise Noah and the flood, the parting of the Red Sea, and Joshua stopping
the sun.  This is not to say that there’s no truth in these stories--just no
discernible fact.