[Vision2020] Metaphor (was Logos school's all-male board)

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@hotmail.com
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:28:51 -0700

Doug (J) notes:

>Certainly you're not suggesting that Gregory believed the Trinity was some
>sort of decorative fiction. Like all of historic Christianity, he
>argued that it is ultimate reality.

I would suggest on the contrary that Gregory asserts that the Truth is
greater than the metaphor of the Trinity.  The ultimate reality is what the
doctrine of the Trinity imperfectly and contingently expresses to us.  (I'm
not speaking for Joan, who as a Jew, does regard the Trinity as a sort of
decorative fiction.)

It is an entirely Enlightenment frame of mind which requires that Truth be
fact.  Karen Armstrong argues most ably that fundamentalism--particularly
with regard to literalism in the interpretation of holy texts--is the
consequence of an anxious assimilation of rationalism.

Which might explain the curious selectivity of assuming that texts which
support pet cultural prejudices (the exclusion of women from leadership) are
fact, but those which are neutral or uncomfortable (the exclusion of the
disabled from worship, say) can be disregarded or rationalized.

But I defer to Walter Steed, who expressed a longing for a nice quiet list,
and promise to keep to our self-imposed limiting of posts, at least for
today.

Melynda Huskey

"We utterly deny all outward wars and strife, and fightings with outward
weapons, for any end, or under any pretense whatsoever: this is our
testimony to the whole world."
Quaker Declaration of 1660