[Vision2020] Logos School's all-male board

Greg Burton gburton@sltrib.com
Wed, 09 Apr 2003 13:40:42 -0600

--------------76694437ACDCEC67210ACBBF

  I hate to enter these impossible fits of circular logic offered by people
driven more by passion, but I know of plenty of instances where certain
fundamental Christian groups with a particularly strict paternalistic bent prefer
to "counsel" families about sexual abuse or domestic abuse. Hiding behind the
cloak of religion, they avoid turning such matters over to a secularly driven
cop. Be they Catholic priests or Mormon bishops or Trinitarian reverends.
  While Doug loudly broadcasts his call to vengeance or retribution or justice
for wife beaters, I suspect he would first counsel to heal the marriage, return
the wife to the husband and preserve the Biblical union, despite the hidden
consequences. The power of scripture, you know. Some would argue such peer or
pastoral pressure exacerbates a woman's feeling of helplessness in an abusive
relationship.
  If I'm wrong, damn me to hell.

  p.s. — Don't fault the newspaper for picking up on a fertile subject or
listening in on a newsy listserve. And don't fancy yourselves so important when
someone else pays attention to you.

cheers, greg

eevans@moscow.com wrote:

> Dan Carscallen wrote:
> > Tom Hansen said:
> >
> > >Now how about answering the question?
> >
> > >Waiting . . .
> >
> > I'm really wondering why anyone that is not a patron of Logos school
> > would care?  Seems to me it's their business, and if those who send
> > their kids to the school think it's fine, then it shouldn't bother
> > anyone else.
> >
> > Riddle me THAT, everyone . . .
>
> I dunno, but the newspapers would be a lot thinner if it weren't for this sort
> of thing, not to mention the drop in V2020 traffic.
>
> Cheers,
> -Ed Evans

>            http://www.fsr.net/

>  List services made available by First Step Internet,
>           mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com

--------------76694437ACDCEC67210ACBBF

begin:vcard
n:Burton;Greg
tel;cell:(801) 918-8097
tel;fax:(801) 257-8525
tel;work:(801) 257-8789
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.sltrib.com
org:The Salt Lake Tribune;Environment & Adventure Desk
adr:;;143 S. Main Street;Salt Lake City;Utah;84111;United States
version:2.1
email;internet:gburton@sltrib.com
title:News Editor
x-mozilla-cpt:;3