[Vision2020] Logos School's all-male board

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Wed, 09 Apr 2003 12:13:02 -0700

Dear visionaries,

Melynda's questions presuppose a foundational solidarity and allegiance
between all men, based on gender alone, and a solidarity of all women,
based on gender alone. But there are, um, other factors in what she lists,
things like suspect statistics, Hinduism, famine, wars, etc.

But when it comes to those things that really done against women on the
basis of some twisted notion of masculinity,  why are all males supposed to
feel a sense of responsibility for this? If some machismo guy beats up his
wife and kills her, why are men generally charged with this? On what basis?
When it comes to such violent crimes against women, I am entirely in favor
of a judicial response involving a tall tree and a short rope. But *then* I
will be accused of being calloused because I support the death penalty. I
might be wrong in one direction or another, but I cannot inhale and exhale
at the same time. It is beyond my competence to be wrong in two opposite
directions simultaneously. Men who abuse women violently in this way should
be given a fair trial, and, if convicted, executed on the following
Tuesday.This might be a little too hard line for Quaker tastes, but in no
way is it an endorsement of the mistreatment of women. So, which is it? Am
I in favor of violence against women, or in favor of violence against the
violent? I can't be both.

And last, it should be noted (yet again) that all moral claims require a
moral foundation. Misogyny is a sin because God hates it, and He will judge
those guilty of unrepentant continuance in this sin on the Last Day, along
with those guilty of other sins against His Word. But if there is no God,
or no judgment, or no fixed moral standards, then everything reduces to a
matter of personal preference. And if you are an enraged Hindu, whose
personal preference was to have received a larger dowry, Melynda has
outlined for us what happens then. True relativistic multi-culturalism will
have to swallow an awful lot. Open wide!

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson