[Vision2020] Logos School's all-male board

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Wed, 09 Apr 2003 09:05:02 -0700

Dear visionaries,

Scott has asked me for two contradictory things. He asked me to be "honest
and concise," and I might assume from this that any detailed explanation
could be taken as evasive -- as me developing my own brand of political
correctness. But then he also asks for "all the reasons."

A detailed explanation could easily grow to the size of a book. But modern
egalitarianism is incapable of thinking at the level of foundational
presuppositions (as has been demonstrated multiple times in this forum),
and "all the reasons" would not be likely to find an attentive audience. In
our modern egalitarian setting, any restriction placed on men or women is
automatically taken as a statement of the superiority of one over the
other, end of discussion.

That said,

1. Why now? has already been answered, multiple times. The goal is to
protect the school from frivolous harassment in these, our PC times.
2. Why at all?  is, in my mind, tied in with the first. If we did not live
in these times, such a proposal would probably be quite superfluous and
unnecessary.

John Danahy just simply assumes that such a practice would entail "second
class citizenship for women." But this shows how wildly divergent our
foundational assumptions are. I will simply seek to answer this with a poem
of Chesterton's called Comparisons.

         If I set the sun beside the moon,
         And if I set the land beside the sea,
         And if I set the town beside the country,
         And if I set the man beside the woman,
         I suppose some fool would talk about one being better.

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson