[Vision2020] all-male board at Logos

Sharon Sullivan herbals@moscow.com
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 22:51:42 -0700

--=======55535D73=======

Visionaries,
	I was talking with a Logos school graduate with whom i have become
acquainted.  The subject wandered to my questioning the Biblical notion
that women are somehow to be led by men...i stated that i longed for the
day when a woman would be President.  At which point, the Logos grad
laughed as though that were the silliest notion one might ever suggest.  He
used the explanation that "women just aren't meant to lead in that way" and
sounded frighteningly similar to the Hitler speech Ms. Huskey
posted.    Not much more to back it up except God said so in the Bible...
(oops, surely I have offended, since evangelicals all know that God's word
is law, but women's word never will be.) Pat yourself on the back, Doug,
your brainwashing works.
	Well, that's fine, it's a private school, and the Supreme Court is not
going to stop you, and boy are you guys diverse (pun intended).  I dare say
this male leadership, female submissive notion is neither original nor
diverse, but more of the status quo, keeping power in the hands of the
Christian males.
	What is glaringly obvious is that the all male board reflects Logos'
theological foundations rather than the guise of getting men more involved
in children's lives.  Do they also feel strongly that male participation
has historically been underrepresented in the doing of household cleaning,
which directly affects the hygiene and health of said children?  Or do
women have a special attachment at the elbow where the toilet brush fits
just right, fashioned by the hand of God?
	Forgive my generalizing for the whole of the gender, but i have a
suspicion that the female approach to leadership would a breath of fresh
air after millennia of war.  A softer approach, more about discussion,
diplomacy, international relations (gasp!), glory in the mundane thankless
jobs like balancing the budget.  If children are indeed women's sphere,
then perhaps women leaders would accomplish  universal health care for
kids, increase funding for Head Start, protect the last wild spaces of
nature, create more parks and playgrounds..
Talk about taxation without representation and affirmative action! Isn't
the Senate 80 to 90% male?  This is a problem, not an ideal toward which to
aspire.
Viva Gaia!
Sharon Sullivan

---