[Vision2020] Logos School's all male board

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 16:35:17 -0700

Visionaries,

Melynda has made a serious summary of what she thinks we are contemplating,
along with the reasons for it, and I appreciate it. I have inserted brief
comments on one board member's reasons (mine) for contemplating this. But
remember, this is just being considered, and I don't know that it will pass.

Melynda wrote:
The Board of Logos School is contemplating enacting a policy which excludes
women from service on the Board because:
a. They don't wish to be sued for de facto exclusion of women (who have
never served on the Board), and a policy specifically prohibiting them
would provide that protection, and
b. They value women too highly to include them on the School Board,
c. The goal of encouraging fathers to participate in children's education
is best served by excluding women from the School Board.
The Board further does not expect most people to understand this decision,
since it requires a certain level of sophistication to appreciate.
Did I get that right?

I write:
You got it partly right.
a. You got this exactly right.
b. That was a joke designed to work the Mark Twain quote in. Not a real reason.
c. Not quite right. We are not doing this to encourage fathers. Rather, we
have encouraged fathers, it has worked, and this is what has created the
argument in reason a.

Melynda's last comment is not exactly right either. But it does require
enough sophistication to be able to distinguish an evangelical Christian
school from the Nazis. And I actually hope that most people in our
community can make such a distinction.

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson