[Vision2020] Logos School's all-male board

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:52:24 -0700

Visionaries,

Bill raised a couple questions based on Vera's column on Friday.

First, the board has not voted on that proposition. The board approved
presenting the proposed change to the school's constituency, and collecting
feedback. According to our by-laws, the board cannot change our by-laws
without going through this process first. A vote on the change itself is
still in the future.

Secondly, the fact that Bill wants to debate the proposition from outside
the school community might be one argument in favor of it. We have actively
sought to build a school community in which fathers take responsibility for
their children beyond the point of begetting them. This emphasis (which is
what it has been until the present) has resulted in de facto male
representation on the board for some years now. So the change was obviously
not being proposed because of rampant feminism in our school community. But
once outsiders take an interest in what we are doing (as they have done),
we want to be very careful about our political and legal position.
Officious secularists don't like diversity anywhere, and more than once
have resorted to coercive means to attack the right of private associations
to determine their own rules for their own governance. One thinks of poor
old Hootie at that golf club back east. So in one sense this is merely a
question of whether we need formal authority for a de facto situation.

Third, I am grateful that the reality of what is happening with education
in Moscow is becoming obvious. What the Logos school board does on such
questions is now newsworthy, and of interest to the broader community.
Given the demographics and trajectory of education in our town (discussed
in this space before), I actually think this is appropriate. But secular
outsiders will need to practice some things. Actual diversity in a
community includes things like this, instead of the pretend diversity of
the scratch and sniff variety so popular in progressive circles. And
frankly, Bill's suggestions on what we should be teaching our daughters
comes across like a Gentile suggesting BLTs for the synagogue potluck.

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson

According to Vera White's "Ink" column on Friday, the Logos School
here in Moscow recently voted to never allow women to serve on their
elected board of directors.
I believe that decision is both wrong and foolish for may reasons,
and would welcome a discussion of that policy on this community email
list.
In addition, I have a question for Logos supporters. I am a
father. My daughter and her welfare are of primary significance to me.
I can not imagine looking her in the eye and telling her that she is not
good enough to serve in the leadership of her school. I believe that it
is her talents, character, and interests that should determine what her
goals should be. I would NEVER restrict her in that way. How can you
do that to your own daughters?
BL