[Vision2020] Hate Crime on the Palouse

Debbie Gray dgray@uidaho.edu
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 00:22:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003, Donovan Arnold wrote:

> According to the "Idaho Administrative Code" Section 50 Part 02 and titled
> "Education Requirements" the minimum requirements for a police officer are
> "Graduation from high school or having passed the General Educational
> Development Test"
> "http://www2.state.id.us/adm/adminrules/rules/idapa11/1101.pdf" Page 10.

Yes, those are 'minimum' requirements. Not maximum, as your '1/2 of MPD
only have GED's' implies...

> The reason I say many of the Moscow Police department had personnel only
> had a GED is because me, my brother,
> and sister knew four or five officers that dropped out from our class and
> were now officers telling us not to smoke because we were under 18:

And how would people who had dropped out of your class (and, therefore,
are the same age) would be telling you not to smoke if they were the same
age? Minimum age requirement is 21.

> * Special NOTE ( in 1991 we were suffering from a resession, many HS
> students dropped out of school to work to help out their families,filling in
> the many vacancies the Moscow Police department had, Idaho state law does
> not require local officers to attend POST training until as late as 12
> months.)I would image these GED students had not attended these courses.

Wow. A recession and the only people MPD can find to hire are high school
dropouts, under the age of 18!

> Kaminsky & Associates field training is not required for local officers,
> only state level officers.

Kaminsky & Associates field training as required for state level officers
is a CLASS. The Kaminsky & Associates field training METHOD is what is
used for field training for MPD and LCSO. This is how field training
officers help teach new officers. Or did you think these high school
dropout 17 year olds just show up for work, get a patrol car and zip off
to contaminate crime scenes on their first day?

> Sorry I sounded like I was attacking the Police Department. Just the people
> that messed up that crime scene.

You simply made blanket statements about the education of police officers,
implying they are all GED possessing idiots incapable of solving any crime
as successfully as the multitude of armchair detectives out there.
Armchair detectives are also blessed with hindsight, which police officers
are not. Easy to second guess someone after more facts come to light. I
don't see why you are so defensive of any statements you interpret as
ignorant, racist/sexist/homophobic remarks and yet turn around and make
the same statements about another group of people. Why don't you see that
stereotypes cannot be applied in ANY situation?

How about you sign up as a citizen rider w/MPD or LCSO and open your mind
to the experience, professionalism, skills and abilities of those you
so eagerly deride? I bet you'll learn something.

Debbie Gray