[Vision2020] Hate Crime on the Palouse

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Sat, 05 Apr 2003 20:51:08 -0800

Debbie,

I didn't mean to offend you. I have always had a high regard for you and
your viewpoints. Particularly working with you on the nudity ordinance. I
have also known that there are many skilled and trained officers in Idaho.
Including the Sheriff of Latah County who did an excellent job in pursuing
Jeremy Brown who shot my Cousin Adam in the head the summer before last. I
have listed everything you asked below:

According to the "Idaho Administrative Code" Section 50 Part 02 and titled
"Education Requirements" the minimum requirements for a police officer are
"Graduation from high school or having passed the General Educational
Development Test"
"http://www2.state.id.us/adm/adminrules/rules/idapa11/1101.pdf" Page 10.

Moscow Police Department education requirements now, I do not know what they
were in 1991, when I was in high school. The reason I say many of the Moscow
Police department had personnel only had a GED is because me, my brother,
and sister knew four or five officers that dropped out from our class and
were now officers telling us not to smoke because we were under 18:

* Special NOTE ( in 1991 we were suffering from a resession, many HS
students dropped out of school to work to help out their families,filling in
the many vacancies the Moscow Police department had, Idaho state law does
not require local officers to attend POST training until as late as 12
months.)I would image these GED students had not attended these courses.

"A combination of education and experience equivalent to completion of 60
hours of college course work, including courses in law enforcement"

Kaminsky & Associates field training is not required for local officers,
only state level officers. Nor is training required in the area of Homicide
as a course, it is listed as a specialization. Here is a list of their basic
5 day training course that is most often given:

Key Elements of Successful Field Training & Evaluation Programs
The Role of Supervision/Management
The Evaluation Process: Achieving Objectivity
Evaluation and Documentation Exercises
Legal, Ethical, and Due Process Issues
Remedial Training Strategies
Instructional Techniques
Adult Learning Skills
Interpersonal Communication: Using Feedback Effectively
Dealing with Difficult People
The Termination Process
Educational and Behavioral Psychology
Customized Subjects as Requested by Program Host

Here is a list of all the major programs:

Basic 5-Day FTO Seminar
"Beyond the Basics" - Advanced FTO Training (3-Days)
FTO for CTOs - Basic FTO Course for Dispatcher & Dispatch
Supervisors.(4-Days)
Administration, Management and Supervision of FTO Programs (3-Days)
Instructor Development
Supervisory Skills
Promotional Preparation

In terms of POST, I think that it really depends on what area you are
training (Juvinal, patrol, State, ect) in what the requirements are. I am
sure their Homicide department is excellent. However, if nobody on the force
has taken it, or not used it in a long time, I doubt anyone could be that
skilled at it.
Here is a list of required time spent in each area that are taken at the
training at POST.

Human Relations credits 43 hours in the class room

Law              50 hours

Investigations   93

Police Officer and Patrol Training 157

These classes can be broken down depending on what area of law enforcement
you are planning to attend. I did not include physical classes.

One small attention to detail is that all officers are not required to
attend POST training during their first 12 months of service, however most
do well before this time.

Sorry I sounded like I was attacking the Police Department. Just the people
that messed up that crime scene. Take care of yourself Debbie!

Donovan Arnold