[Vision2020] Isn't This Racist?

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 18:18:34 -0700

> Many minorities enter military jobs because it is often the
> best choice they
> have.

Holy Cow! Let's put *that* one to the logic test: doesn't *everyone* enter
into a job that is the best choice that they have?

People will behave in their own self interest by weighing the benefits and
costs to them of various courses of action, choosing the course that
maximizes their individual  satisfaction.

Also, there's an underlying assumption that entering into the military is
the *worse* possible choice for minorities (or anyone else). But the
military has often been the *best* choice for both ethnic minorities and the
economically oppressed.

> Hispanics and African Americans make up nearly twice the
> population of the
> military as they do the general population.

First, I would like to see you support this assertion with facts.

Second, the force of your argument would make sense if there were a draft
and the military were targeting minorities. But in an all volunteer force,
it is irrelevant. Everyone who chooses to go into the military of his own
free will does so because it is his best opportunity. Any other choice would
make him worse off.

Scratching his head,

Dale Courtney
LCDR, USN (Ret)