[Vision2020] What is it good for?

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 12:39:34 -0800

> The US will not allow Iraq to fragment into a Kurdish nation
> (Kurdistan?) in
> the north and Shi'ite nation in the south.  US ally Turkey would go
> ballistic (literally) over the establishment of a Kurdish
> nation on their
> border.  Turkey fought a very nasty and brutal campaign with
> human rights
> abuses galore (funny how here in the US this abuse of the
> Kurds in Turkey
> got meager coverage, yet we hear the mantra of Saddam's abuse
> of the Kurds
> every hour) to route Kurds within Turkey.  And you can bet
> the US does not
> want to empower another Islamic style government in the
> middle east with
> Shi'ites

Ted,

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. I don't think that you
can say Iraq "fragmented" if it is dealt with like Yugoslavia. And, yes,
Turkey won't be happy about it at all. There would likely be a mass
migration of Kurds from Eastern Turkey over to Kurdistan -- since the Kurds
have never had a nation of their own.

We'll see. The Middle East was carved up before with no forethought to
ethnic/religious makeup. We'll see if people are smarter this time.

Best,
Dale