[Vision2020] What is it good for?

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Thu, 03 Apr 2003 19:59:47 +0000

All:

The US will not allow Iraq to fragment into a Kurdish nation (Kurdistan?) in
the north and Shi'ite nation in the south.  US ally Turkey would go
ballistic (literally) over the establishment of a Kurdish nation on their
border.  Turkey fought a very nasty and brutal campaign with human rights
abuses galore (funny how here in the US this abuse of the Kurds in Turkey
got meager coverage, yet we hear the mantra of Saddam's abuse of the Kurds
every hour) to route Kurds within Turkey.  And you can bet the US does not
want to empower another Islamic style government in the middle east with
Shi'ites

The US will impose it's own government on Iraq while the spin is given that
this government represents the Iraq people.  The US already has a list of
exiled Iraq "leaders" they are considering to rule Iraq post Saddam.  True
democracy will be difficult for Iraq, of course, but the US will keep Iraq
together as a nation of sorts, even if it means force to quell a civil war.

It would be seen as a partial defeat of US foreign policy if we allowed Iraq
to fragment.  Saddam is brutal and ugly, but I'll wager the US has the means
to force the players in Iraq to "cooperate" with "success."

Ted