[Vision2020] And Now For Something Completely Different!

Mark Rounds ltrwritr@moscow.com
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 11:01:27 -0800 (PST)

>The mechanics of it seem simple enough, and presuming the BC coast gets more
>precipitation than Moscow, I have not doubt it might work there.  But would
>it in Moscow where we get, I'm guessing, 20 inches per year.  Would it
>generate enough off a single house roof to wash cars, water a yard and a
>garden?
>
>Walter Steed

Water the yard no, but my garden and flower space isn't large and I don't
wash the cars all that often either.  Usually I find a good cause and let
some energetic teenager do it ;-)

I have about 1,500 square feet of roof surface which using your figure of 20
inches of rain a year works out to around 2,500 cubic feet of water.  A
cubic foot of water at sea level and 20 degrees C is slightly less than a
gallon so in rough numbers we are looking at 2,200 gallons of water.  Now a
large part of it falls when I don't need it, but capturing a third of it
would be more than enough for my gardening needs.

Mark