[Vision2020] A few statistics

Bob Hoffmann escape@alt-escape.com
Tue, 01 Apr 2003 21:24:18 -0800

At 01:39 PM 4/1/2003 -0800, Bill Strand wrote:

>Im a bit uncertain as to why we are suddenly picking on the airlines. You
>cant swing a dead cat without hitting a subsidized entity. My tax dollars
>help pay the salaries of a lot of people on this list. How about farm
>subsidies? Who pays for the roads you drive on?

First, few airlines have seen a dime of the alluded subsidies.  Second,
because of the extraordinary drop in passenger traffic after 9/11,
exacerbated by an economic slump which is now exacerbated by a war with an
uncertain end, the airline industry finds itself in a rather unique, but
temporary, pinch.  Airline loan guarantees are supposed to be a temporary
measure, and I suspect they will be.  I'm not opposed to the government
helping out in such manners, in such situations.

Bob Hoffmann
820 S. Logan St.
Moscow, ID  83843

Tel: 208 883-0642