[Vision2020] CNN Breaking News

hayfields@moscow.com hayfields@moscow.com
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 01:19:51 GMT

>Mr. Hansen,

I guess this is where we come right down to the heart of the matter of war.  We
have chosen, yes chosen, to take violent and agressive action against other
human beings.  The question which you phrased as follows
>" Which is more acceptable to you, Ms. Huskey?  Pitying those women and
children > that were forced into harm's way and died as a result?  Or packing
up the > belongings of three or four more dead soldiers to be sent to their
widows?"

Or more bluntly "Do we value all humans equally"? Can we weigh one Iraqi mother
against one American soldier? Don't their families grieve as deeply, aren't
their children equally affected by the brutal loss of a loved one? Or maybe
just being American makes one a little more sacred, more important?

The thing about war is that we are ALL victims. There are no winners.

My uncle once explained to me that it was "necessary" to drop the bomb on
Hiroshima because if we hadn't killed "all those Japanese lots more Americans
would have died".  He was able to believe that Americans were more important
than Japanese.  I never understood that and I never will.

In my family we "cut our eyeteeth" so to speak on pictures of the Holocaust,and
my father was in Vietnam. I have been in the California mountains while the war
games were going on and can remember the sounds even though they were miles
out.  Don't think for one minute that those of us opposing the war on
humanitarian grounds thought it would be clean and neat.  It is because war is
horrible and ugly and scarring physically and emotionally that we oppose it so
adamantly. Even if the military objective is attained, many of us will not be
celebrating.

>Heather Jordan
Hayfields Farm

           http://www.fsr.net/