[Vision2020] National perception of the Palouse

Jacob Spencer spencerjt@wlu.edu
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:48:57 -0500

At college in Virginia, the overwhelming response I got to hearing I was
from Idaho was, "so you know everything about potatoes, right?"  Very
few people had heard of the Palouse, almost nobody knew about our racist
communes to the north, and absolutely zero knew about our recent
"topless outbreak."  In fact, although people did know about Washington
State, many of them thought it was in Seattle.  One even accused me of
being a U-Dub fan.  As an ambassador of the palouse, whose goal it is to
get people to pronounce "Moscow" correctly, I feel I should be paid a
stipend by the city, or a least given some cool brochures.

Cheers,
Jacob Spencer

>>> "Melynda Huskey" <mghuskey@hotmail.com> 12/19/02 13:25 PM >>>
Some years ago, when I lived in another big football town--Columbus,
Ohio--someone asked me where I was from.

"Idaho," I said.

"Oh,"  she said.  "You know, out here we pronounce that 'Iowa.'"

Melynda Huskey

"The things that make us happy make us wise."  John Crowley

>From: eevans@moscow.com
>To: vision2020@moscow.com
>Subject: Re: [Vision2020] National perception of the Palouse
>Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 18:20:25 GMT
>
>I think this perception of the palouse is unique to football/sports
>circles.
>Outside that, there is no particular perception at all. Rather, the
western
>side of the US (those states west of New Hampshire) is seen as a blurry

>area
>full of bears, trees, and Republicans, terminated by Seattle and
California
>on
>the far edge.
>
>Cheers,
>-Ed Evans
>
> > Let 'em think it, Carl.  That way fewer of them will
>want>  to move here, with them pesky indian attacks and all.
> >
>Don't forget that last cholera outbreak we had a couple
> > years ago, and those settlers that had to cannibalize
>eac> h other because they got cut off by that big blizzard.
> >
>tongue in cheek-ily
>
>Dan Carscallen
>
>-----Original
>M> essage-----
>From: Carl Westberg
><carlwestberg846@hotmail> .com>
>To: vision2020@moscow.com <vision2020@moscow.com>
> >
>Date: Thursday, December 19, 2002 8:44 AM
>Subject:
>[Vis> ion2020] National perception of the Palouse
>

>I've
>b> een reading some national sport web sites, and even
>visit> ed the
>Tuscaloosa, Alabama newspaper to gauge
>reactions>  to Mike Price going to
>Alabama.  It seems the
>majority>  of the country believes that we poor Palouse
>residents>  are completely cut off from the rest of the civilized
>wo> rld.
>We're still waiting for electricity, rotary
>phone>  service, and face a week
>long horse ride through 17
>fo> ot snow drifts to reach Seattle, the nearest
>civilized
> > outpost.  And we have those pesky Indian attacks to deal
> > with.
>I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing.
> >

> >                            Carl Westberg Jr.

>This message was sent by First Step Internet.
>            http://www.fsr.net/

>  List services made available by First Step Internet,
>           mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com

 List services made available by First Step Internet,