[Vision2020] resigning before speaking

Philip Cook pcook@uidaho.edu
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 17:00:44 -0800

On 18 Dec 2002 at 13:06, Barbara Richardson wrote:
> My understanding is that State Law and Moscow Ordinance prohibit a >member of the planning commission from taking an advocacy role in any >case in which he/she has been a party.

I can find no such prohibition against a P&Z member speaking in Idaho
Code or Moscow Code. Could you please be more specific as to title and
section that you are interpreting as such?

Moscow Code for public hearing procedures (Title 4, Section 10) says that
for Type II hearings, "both hearings are de novo hearings which allow
presentation of any pertinent information regardless of prior participation in
the process" (Sec. 10-5.A.1.). My interpretation is that Mike's prior
participation should have no bearing on his ability to bring pertinent
information to the second hearing.

Furthermore, in its role regarding zoning changes, P&Z's role is advisory--
only providing recommendations to Council. Council does not have to
accept the P&Z's recommendations, and Council's decision is not
appealable to P&Z. What was the problem with Mike testifying as either
P&Z member or private citizen?

Will this decision--to keep an advisory commission member from testifying
at Council hearings--set a precedent for other city advisory commissions as
well?

I eagerly await the answers to Bill's questions from the City Supervisor
and/or City Attorney, and hope that the opinion contains references to
specific laws and court cases that the City is using to justify the decision.
Until such a justification is made public, the decision appears to be
arbitrary and capricious.

Philip Cook