[Vision2020] resigning before speaking

Barbara Richardson edc@moscow.com
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:06:09 -0800

Bill,

My understanding is that State Law and Moscow Ordinance prohibit a member of
the planning commission from taking an advocacy role in any case in which
he/she has been a party.  P and Z hearings are administrative hearings and
as such the committee members making a recommendation are suppose to only
consider certain legal questions and be impartial.  If you are a dissenting
vote, much like the Supreme Court, you can add you reason for dissension to
the record in written form.  I have done a little research and found out
that if a P and Z member is allowed to speak, there may be grounds for an
appeal of that decision.

I know that people wanted to hear what Mike had to say and after his
resignation from P and Z Mayor Comstock did allow him to speak.  I
personally was there and commend the Mayor and Council for putting a
citizens right to speak above the legal opinion of the City Attorney.  I
think this shows that the Council and Mayor wanted to ensure that there was
equal participation and representation of both sides.

Barbara Richardson Crouch
Latah Economic Development Council
121 Sweet Ave.
Moscow, Idaho 83843