[Vision2020] Lott-Law

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@hotmail.com
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:19:03 -0800

What's especially appealing about Lott and Law as apologizers is that they
apparently feel that their words need bear no relation to their actions:
Law couldn't be sorrier about how this all turned out, and now that he's
resigned, he's going to take a well-earned vacation.  Lott is so sorry that
now he reveals he's been a supporter of affirmative action all
along--despite that pesky voting record.

Meanwhile, dubious citizens and parishioners exchange half-humorous glances:
  "Do they think we didn't notice?  How stupid have we let them think we
are?"

That would be the risk of extreme privilege, I think--you get used to the
idea that your word is law, and then you start trying out the "Fiat lux"
stunt.

Melynda Huskey

"The things that make us happy make us wise."  John Crowley