[Vision2020] Lott/Law

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:09:56 -0800

Dear visionaries,<br><br>
The price of true diversity is eternal vigilance. After all our striving
for inclusivity in this forum, I am astounded that we still have folks
making judgmental comments on the ethical choices of others. If Cardinal
Law, after deep reflection in his own conscience, decides that
chickenhawk priests are the way to go, then who are <i>we </i>to gainsay
him? There is an old Indian saying that until we have walked a mile in
the moccasins of another we should not try to teach him to fish. Or
something like that. Brethren, we should be beyond our fundamentalist
categories by now! As for Trent Lott, does not our new diverse world
order have room for a few crackers with interesting hair? Nay, we must
even go beyond a mere making room for him! While many of us may
personally find his cravenness and belly-crawling to be out of keeping
with our own personal choices, his behavior is no doubt in keeping with a
true inner authenticity, deep within his heart of hearts, in that inner
<i>sanctum sanctorum</i>, that serene place where there are no press
conferences, gaffes, or helmet hair. In the meantime, let us take heed to
our pluralistic selves! We must press on toward the goal of <i>true
</i>diversity, a goal obstructed incidentally, as the Rev. Jackson so
astutely put it, by the inhabitants of Hymietown.<br><br>
Cordially,<br><br>
Douglas Wilson<br>