[Vision2020] Wrong about the City's pay plan

Priscilla Salant psalant@moscow.com
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 18:50:46 -0800

Visionaries,

time reviewing the pay plan with me yesterday.  It's clear that I shot from
the hip on this issue and didn't do my homework.

I don't understand the proposal details or the City budget enough to say
whether the plan is equitable and affordable. One thing I'm sure of is that
this isn't about one particular person demanding higher pay, as Vera's Ink
column so strongly stated. And I can't find where her numbers come from
either.

What I've learned from this whole episode is that our town needs a better
way of talking about important and complicated policy issues in an informed
way.  Maybe others have some suggestions.

Priscilla Salant