[CLC-Discussion] General Contractor License and Florida Public Adjuster License Question

alanhlubitzpa at bellsouth.net alanhlubitzpa at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 26 10:50:42 PDT 2018

Colleagues,

My firm represents a contractor that has been performing Hurricane Irene
repairs to single family homes in South Florida. My client's contract with
the homeowner requires it to estimate the cost to repair the damage,
transmit the estimate to the homeowner's insurance carrier and communicate
with the carrier's adjuster to finalize the claim. The contract states that
the contractor will accept the amount paid by the insurance company, plus
the amount of the insurance deductible paid by the homeowner, as full
compensation for the repairs.

The homeowner wrongfully terminated the contract, and my client filed suit.
One of the affirmative defenses to the claim is that the contract is illegal
because the contractor is not licensed as a Florida public adjuster. My
client insists that this affirmative defense has no merit. Does anyone have
a case or ruling that supports my client's position?

I look forward to your responses.

Alan

Alan H. Lubitz, Esq.
Law Office of Alan H. Lubitz, P. A.
101 Plaza Real South

Suite 401

Boca Raton, FL 33432
Phone: 561-368-4404

Cell: 305-742-6556

 <mailto:alanhlubitzpa at bellsouth.net> alanhlubitzpa at bellsouth.net

This transmission is intended to be delivered only to the named
addressee(s). This email may contain information that is confidential,
proprietary, attorney work-product or attorney-client privileged. If you are
not the intended recipient, nor the employee or agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination or copying of this transmission (including any attachments) is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify
the sender by email reply.