[CLC-Discussion] Licensure Question - Commercial Water Treatment/Filtration Systems and Facilities

Hardy Roberts hardyroberts at careyomalley.com
Sun Feb 12 18:20:23 PST 2017

Leslie,

Here are some thoughts...

You've probably considered the exemptions at Sec. 489.103 including those at (6) and (15).

I think the design-build exemptions in Chapter 471, 481, and 489 should make either an engineering, architectural, or general contracting license suffice, if necessary, as long as the proper scope(s) are subcontracted out to the appropriately licensed company(ies).

Whether a GC or electrical license is required depends on a close examination of the work. I think considering whether structural activities are occurring, what's being demolished (see Sec. 489.105(3)), and what kind of electrical work is happening would be good places to start.

If engineering sub-consultants are hired by the company to fulfill part of the scope of the prime contract, I think this suggests that the company needs either an engineering license or else a GC license (so it can take advantage of the design-build exemption at Section 471.003(2)(i)).

Hardy

Hardy L. Roberts
Carey O'Malley Whitaker Mueller Roberts & Smith P.A.
Direct: 813-345-5212