[CLC-Discussion] Judgments/Licensure

Paul J. Kelly pkelly at paulkellypa.com
Wed Jun 29 09:45:10 PDT 2016

Committee Members:

     I have a client who has a New York State Judgment (six figures+)
against a NY electrical contracting business and former NY resident.

     NY resident has now relocated to Florida and recently became a Florida
licensed electrical contractor and Florida resident.

    I would like to collect on the judgment and believe the individual
should not have received his license with the outstanding judgment. I have
not yet deposed the individual to see if the judgment was disclosed on the
license application.  ( I know there is an affirmative duty to disclose
criminal convictions but I am not sure how civil judgments, particularly
those resulting from construction projects, impact a licensee) It is my
understanding that persons who are not financially responsible (ie: Paying a
judgment in a construction lawsuit) could be denied a license.

   At a minimum, I would like to make a complaint to the CILB that while the
construction judgment remains unpaid, this person is a danger to Florida's
construction industry and therefore should not be licensed.

   Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Paul J. Kelly

Paul J. Kelly, P.A.

2959 First Avenue North

St. Petersburg, Florida 33713

(727) 327-3935

cid:image006153c.jpg

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: A law firm is sending this message; This e-mail
message including attachments, if any, is intended only for the person or
privileged material.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply
e-mail, destroy all copies of the original message, and do not disseminate
it further. This message may not be reviewed, printed, displayed, or
re-transmitted without the sender's consent. All rights protected.  There
may be no further distribution or publication of this communication or its
contents without the express consent of this law firm.

IRS Circular 230 disclosure:
that any tax advice contained in this communication, unless expressly stated
otherwise, was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for
the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue
Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any
tax-related matter(s) addressed herein.

P Think Green!  Unless necessary, please do not print this email.