[CLC-Discussion] Question re: Change of Contractor on Permit - when new Contractor is not yet selected

Gibbons, Michael Michael.Gibbons at lowndes-law.com
Thu May 21 16:50:18 PDT 2015

I assume the “residential construction project” you reference is a single family home.  Take a look at Owner-Builder exemption found at Fla. Stat. s. 489.103(7).  I understand that the intent is for the  Owner-Builder permit to be an interim solution until new licensed GC is contracted.  If the Owner  were an individual, it would be easier to process. As it is, with a Trust  as Owner, basically the Trustee of the Trust would have to sign the application and Owner-Builder permit which includes a statement that the residence is for the Owner’s own use or occupancy.  I’m guessing that is not the case with the trustee who typically is acting as Trustee for the benefit of beneficiaries who are necessarily other than the Trustee.   Otherwise, I assume that the Trustee would not object to being the party “legally and financially responsible” for the project site as long as such responsibility is limited to a few week duration without actual construction activity.  If the Trustee can get comfortable with the “use or occupy” requirement and the fact that the property is owned of record by a Trust doesn’t by itself set off bells and whistles in the local building department when confronted with an Owner-Builder application from a Trustee, it may fly.

Michael R. Gibbons  (Bio<http://lowndes-law.com/our-people/michael-r-gibbons>)
Shareholder
Lowndes, Drosdick, Doster, Kantor & Reed, P.A.
215 N. Eola Drive
Orlando, FL 32801
Phone: 407-418-6378
Fax: 407-843-4444