[CLC-Discussion] Is a 255.05 Bond Required or Not .... that is the question.

Gibbons, Michael Michael.Gibbons at lowndes-law.com
Wed Mar 25 09:29:44 PDT 2015

I would think not. The purpose of the s. 255.05 payment bond is (i) to provide a source of security to ensure payment to subs and suppliers who have no lien rights on public owned property and (ii) protect tax dollars from being consumed in disputes over payment to subcontractors and suppliers.  In your case, taxpayer dollars are not at risk.  Also, assuming the paver work at least qualifies as a “subdivision improvement” the lienors would have the statutory right under 713.04 to lien the adjoining private property owner (your client) for value of unpaid work.   One suggestion for addressing the issue is to expressly include in the prime contract an acknowledgement from the client private property owner that its adjacent owned and benefitted property will be security for and subject to liens of lienors providing labor or materials to the right of way portion of the scope of work.  As long as the ROW work is lienable if unpaid, there is no good rationale for a bond.  Difficult to see how your owner client would be prejudiced assuming it is administering the work under one contract and the funding source is the same.

Michael R. Gibbons  (Bio<http://lowndes-law.com/our-people/michael-r-gibbons>)
Shareholder
Lowndes, Drosdick, Doster, Kantor & Reed, P.A.
215 N. Eola Drive
Orlando, FL 32801
Phone: 407-418-6378
Fax: 407-843-4444