[CLC-Discussion] Payment of "Undisputed Sums" which the court Ultimately finds to be disputed--Remedy & Prevailing Party Fees

Gibbons, Michael Michael.Gibbons at lowndes-law.com
Mon Jun 15 15:35:29 PDT 2015

    Good issue. Couple comments:

1.        Did the Court decline to hold the evidentiary hearing despite a clear statutory requirement to hold one or did the plaintiff fail to schedule the hearing with the Court?   I suspect the latter especially if there was a breach of contract claim where the parties may have been focusing their attention.  I don't see a circuit court judge unilaterally scheduling an evidentiary hearing on such a complaint in the absence of a party bringing it to court's attention and scheduling it.

2.        With respect to the evidentiary hearing vs. reference to "trial" later in the statute, I don't believe that the evidentiary hearing functions as the sole adjudicatory procedure in an action filed under Fla. Stat. s. 713.346.  The early evidentiary hearing  is expressly offered as a  means by which the plaintiff might qualify for some extraordinary prejudgment remedies such as a "temporary injunction" or "prejudgment attachment".  The evidentiary hearing doesn't mean that there is no later trial of an action filed under this statute; it just provides an evidentiary and procedural basis for the issuance of the extraordinary "prejudgment" relief spelled out at subsection (4).

3.        In order to prevail in this statutory action, I believe it is incumbent on the plaintiff to both plead and prove the existence of an "undisputed obligation" due from defendant to plaintiff.  That's a high bar and for this reason this statutory action seems to be rarely invoked.  Subsection (4) appears to expressly require proof  of "each allegation of the complaint" which would include the allegation of an undisputed debt.  If plaintiff fails to prove the existence of the undisputed debt, then Plaintiff would not prevail in the action and defendant would appear to be entitled to recover prevailing party attorney's fees.

4.        The combination of the high bar of pleading and  proving undisputed debt with the risk of plaintiff being obligated to pay defense atty's fees is enough to keep most practitioners from invoking this statute.

Michael R. Gibbons  (Bio<http://lowndes-law.com/our-people/michael-r-gibbons>)
Shareholder
Lowndes, Drosdick, Doster, Kantor & Reed, P.A.
215 N. Eola Drive
Orlando, FL 32801
Phone: 407-418-6378
Fax: 407-843-4444