[CLC-Discussion] SB 286 - Limitations on Individual DesignProfessional Liability

Donald Gibson dgibson at gibsonlaw.com
Fri Apr 26 21:06:29 PDT 2013

While not entirely on point, but at least in the vein of "but wait, if that's true, then . . . ? ", I would suggest that we all take a moment to ponder the ramifications of these very recent legislative pronouncements in light of the obiter dictum from the Florida Supreme Court in Moransais: "Indeed, it is questionable whether a professional, such as a lawyer, could legally or ethically limit a client's remedies by contract in the same way that a manufacturer could do with a purchaser in a purely commercial setting."  Obviously, the important part of that statement is "ethically".  I would, at least at this point, suggest caution in advising a client what these recent pronouncements truly mean, . . . at least until "the paint fully dries".  Just a thought.