[WSBARP] Execution of Estate Documents

Jan Kelly jan at jankellylaw.com
Mon Jun 24 07:30:49 PDT 2024

I  have done a version of this scenario for out-of-area clients. I just
finished an estate plan for a client in Las Vegas. We did the preliminary
calls via Zoom, and after I finished all of the documents, I emailed them
to her, and we went over them together on Zoom. I then printed the estate
plan, added "sign" and/or "notarize" stickers, and post-it notes to
highlight the witness signatures. I sent the entire package overnight to
the client.  She organized 2 neighbors to come and witness, and I arranged
for a mobile notary to come to her.  I also sent a very detailed
step-by-step letter, so she can read the instructions for each document
(e.g., that for her Will, she and the 2 witnesses must be in the room
together at the same time and watch each other sign.) She will be doing the
signing on Wednesday this week, and I will be available by video call if
they have any questions.

For other clients who I didn't feel were as sophisticated as this woman, I
required that they use Zoom with me while they do the signing process.

Jan

On Sun, Jun 23, 2024 at 2:52 PM Sangeeta Saigal <attorney at sangeetasaigal.com>
wrote:

> Happy Sunday Afternoon,
>
> Wanted to draw on the collective wisdom of everyone:  interesting inquiry
> received by Client:
>
> Can clients print and get notary services of their own finalized estate
> planning documents which are drafted by an attorney?
>
> If no, does the attorney need to be physically present or can this be done
> virtually if Client gets the necessary witnesses and notary?
>
> Has anyone done this when there is no office staff or another attorney to
> assist in the execution?
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> Sangeeta
>
> Sent from my iPhone

> others.***

*Jan Kelly, JD/MBA*Attorney at Law

JK Law
PO Box 1964
Poulsbo, WA 98370
Direct Line (702) 338-6733

*Licensed in Nevada and Washington*.

THIS EMAIL MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENTS ARE CONFIDENTIAL AND INTENDED ONLY
FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY
CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM
DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW. Any unauthorized review, use, copying,
disclosure or distribution of any information contained in or attached to
this communication is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this
communication in error, or are not the named recipient, please immediately
notify the sender by email by "reply to sender only" and delete this
message and any attached documents from your computer. Receipt by anyone
other than the intended recipient(s) is not a waiver of confidentiality
and/or any legal privilege. Thank you.