[WSBARP] [SAIL_WA] Termination of RV Lease

Carmen Rowe carmen at gryphonlawgroup.com
Thu Jun 6 16:56:53 PDT 2024

Jan, sorry for the belated reply as I was out of the office -

But if someone has not already noted this, there is a very recent case
dealing with a similar scenario. I forwarded it to a real property list I'm
on but I don't think this one. Below is the link (and, FWIW, my commentary
on it at the time). I don't do LL/T work either, but used to, and found it
an interesting case.

May. 14, 2024 - 58054-3 - Steven Pohl, Respondent v. Dennis Mark,
Appellant
https://www.courts.wa.gov/opinions/?fa=opinions.disp&filename=580543MAJ

General situation: person moved onto property with a make-shift trailer,
there was an oral agreement that likely would be a rental agreement if
occupied the residence, but was not as he was residing in his own trailer
on the land.

I know it's a narrow band of cases where someone is on the property but not
in the house, but I've heard of courts stretching the RLTA to people living
on property in their trailers to  protect them. And ensuing difficulty
getting squatters out under judges of a certain bent.

While this was still towards protecting the unwanted occupant, it pretty
clearly sets out law that would work in the owner's favor if they followed
the "at will" procedure versus RLTA.

It also takes it out of the UD process - which as I understand, many courts
are setting out ridiculously far out (again presumably in a
"tenant-advocate" approach). While UD is "quicker" in some circumstances,
perhaps not when you can't even get on the docket, particularly if you have
facts supporting a summary judgment on ejectment.

And good practice tip, as I also know a lot of attorneys who have taken to
using the RLTA in just about anything as the courts seem to. Of course
always prudent to have alternate causes of action, and use every possible
applicable notice. But a reminder in these types of situations. Though with
the conflict of notices, I've seen courts reject the ultimate request for
relief because the alternate notices were "confusing". One I saw work was
using the most generous notice provision and using those time-frames rather
than the shorter one that might be available under an alternate theory,
thus having all time frames line up.

Carmen Rowe

Phone: (360) 669-3576 (direct cell)
Email:  Carmen at GryphonLawGroup.com

*Olympia/Lacey and primary mailing office:*
1415 College Street SE, Lacey, WA 98503

*Seattle office: We are currently moving our Seattle location - notice of
new address coming soon!*

*NOTICE REGARDING OPERATIONS AND COVID-19:* We see our community as working
together to address COVID and its impact on our lives, health, and
business. The nature of our practice lends itself well to virtual operation
and we offer a range of flexible solutions to best work with your needs and
preferences. We are here to support you.

*Privileged and confidential: *This message is confidential. If you receive
this message in error, please let us know, and please delete and disregard
any information it contains. We thank you for your respect in not sharing
this email with anyone.