[WSBARP] Escrow of Bid Documents

Rich Holland rich at pnwle.com
Mon Jan 22 10:53:33 PST 2024

Greetings all,

I have a return inquiry about escrowing bid documents as we have done for them in the past.  The role of your firm is just that.  You are the escrow for the signed documents on specific construction projects that require them.  Think public infrastructure.  While I know you are all capable of researching what it entails, fundamentally you agree to store the records for X amount of time.  The documents are either in a sealed box or secured drive or similar.  You are merely the custodian.  If the parties disagree on a major issue, they can arrange with your firm to come in together and unseal said item and review the originals.  I think that happened over  the years once.

My issue is that covid really did a number on my firm and we have survived solely by going full remote.  Shoot I'm practically in involuntary retirement.  Nonetheless,  I do not feel that it is appropriate to take on what could be the multi-year commitment to safeguard even a single file box if it is going to be in my garage....

To be clear, it is not a high income proposition for your firm but, on the other hand, if you are a solo or small firm you could make some significant contacts and once you have set the escrow up it takes almost no effort for you to maintain the files in the same secure way you secure sensitive client files.

Please let me know as I intend to contact the party that inquired tomorrow and would pass on any interested firms because, believe it or not, almost NO firm in the Seattle Area does this.  I have never understood why.

Sincerely,

Richard L. Holland
Attorney, WSBA# 23921

[logo-for-print.jpg]
11335 NE 122nd Way, Ste 105
Kirkland, WA 98034
877.785.8734  / 866.982.5080 (fax)

***PLEASE NOTE: WE DO NOT SEND FUNDING INSTRUCTIONS VIA EMAIL, PLEASE CALL OUR OFFICE TO VERIFY INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE SENDING ANY FUNDS***

The information contained in this communication, and in any attached document(s), is privileged and/or confidential, intended solely for the individual/entity to whom/which it was sent.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please notify me immediately at the email address, mailing address, or telephone or fax number above.