[WSBARP] FinCEN Reporting of BOI

Katie Smith Patel katie at paracletelaw.com
Wed Jan 17 13:36:07 PST 2024

The purpose is to close a long-standing gap of who beneficially owns entities for anti-money laundering purposes.  When setting up entities in states, there is no universal beneficial owner blank required to be filled, and this has long been a gap crippling the ability to follow dirty money back to ultimate beneficial owners.  Up until now, FinCEN has collected suspicious activity report (SAR) filings that are secretly filed by financial institutions any time a bank has any activity or account owner that raises suspicion of illegal activity.  All of these reports are gathered into a database searchable by law enforcement for investigative purposes.  However, the dots can’t be connected from an individual to an entity without some statement of who beneficially owns each entity.  So my guess is this information will supplement the SAR information to connect any entity SARs back to individuals and vice versa.

The US is a member of FATF (Financial Action Task Force) but even at FATF’s most recent assessment of the US’s anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing measures, the US was only fully compliant on 9 out of 40 recommendations.  One of the “not compliant” ratings (the worst rating level) was entity beneficial ownership (recommendation 24).

https://www.fatf-gafi.org/en/publications/Mutualevaluations/Fur-united-states-2020.html

I guess the US no longer wants to appear hypocritical in this regard.

Katie Patel
Paraclete Estate Planning, LLC
(541) 499-9085 (direct)
112 Genessee Street