[WSBARP] TODD and Title update – further questions

Mark Anderson marka at mbaesq.com
Mon Jan 8 12:04:16 PST 2024

Dear All:

W executes Will, leaving "everything" to H so long as H survives W by 90 days.  After executing her Will, W executes and records a TODD (for real property owned by W as her separate property) in favor of a third party (related or not).  W subsequently dies.

I am aware that 1) the conveyance of real property is required to be by deed (RCW 64.04.010), that 2) under RCW 11.04.250, title to real property "shall vest immediately in his or her heirs or devisees" and "no person shall be deemed a devisee until the will has been probated," and that 3) a TODD is nontestamentary.  I am also mindful that, in this case, the TODD (i.e., the Deed) has already been recorded.

Question #1: If W’s death certificate and the REETA for the real property are recorded before the 90 day period and before H dies, how could the effect of the TODD be challenged in good faith?  What if the death certificate and the REETA are not recorded until later?

Question #2: Could the TODD be seen as being analogous to (and as effective as) a codicil to the Will?

Question #3: Prior to her death, could W execute a codicil to her Will that would address the effectiveness of any TODD that W executed and recorded after she executed her Will?  If so, do any of you have language that you have used for this purpose?  (I suppose this language could also be useful in drafting an original Will.)

Question #4: Does RCW 11.02.091 factor into any of this?  If so, how?

As always, thanks for your insights on this.

Mark B. Anderson
ANDERSON LAW FIRM PLLC
821 Dock St  Ste 209  PMB 4-12
Tacoma, Washington 98402
+1 253-327-1750
+1 253-327-1751 (fax)
marka at mbaesq.com<mailto:marka at mbaesq.com>
www.mbaesq.com<http://www.mbaesq.com/>
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This transmission is confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual named recipient. It may be protected by the attorney-client privilege, work product doctrine, or other confidentiality protection. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender via e-mail or by telephone at (253) 327-1750 that you have received the message in error, and then delete it. Thank you.