[WSBARP] Consent for One Partial Owner to Pursue Ejectment Action on Behalf of All

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Feb 9 13:59:41 PST 2024

Lots of pitfalls when someone gets to act on other people's behalf. I think I'd couch it as a power of attorney with absolute and complete authority to make unilateral decisions concerning the ejectment action. Include a clause saying the signers didn't rely on any representations or legal advice from you and acknowledging that you don't represent them and they need to get independent legal advice. Agree that the authority includes the authority to negotiate a settlement to resolve the ejectment.

Just a few thoughts, probably not complete on all the possible scenarios and issues...

As an alternative, what about having all five sign statements under penalty of perjury that they didn't give the defendant any permission to occupy the property, and agree to cooperate with any litigation the Estate brings? I don't think all owners of the property have to be parties to an ejectment action (but I could be wrong).

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC