[WSBARP] Canadian owner & FIRPTA

Doris Eslinger doris at eslingerlawoffice.com
Thu Nov 16 16:40:42 PST 2023

I am researching whether a Canadian Seller qualifies for a FIRPTA exemption.  The decedent was a US person, somehow the probate attorney had the client (a Canadian) took title of the real estate. She is now selling the real estate (at a loss from the DOD value) and I want to find a way to avoid the FIRPTA deduction so that she won’t have to file a return to get it back later.  I found an article on the IRS website titled “Exceptions from FIRPTA Withholding.”  Paragraph 7 states that FIRPTA withholding is not required if the amount the transferor realizes is $0 (I copied and pasted the link and language below).   Interestingly, paragraph 6 requires a filing of a notice with IRS but for #7, it has no requirements.  I appreciate any comments. In any event, client is ready to pay it if can’t get around it.  Applying for a Withholding Certificate takes too long.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/exceptions-from-firpta-withholding#:~:text=Generally%2C%20FIRPTA%20withholding%20is%20not,is%20not%20more%20than%20%24300%2C000.

Generally, FIRPTA withholding is not required in the following situations; however, notification requirements must be met:

  1.  The transferor gives the transferee written notice that no recognition of any gain or loss on the transfer is required because of a nonrecognition provision in the IRC or a provision in a U.S. tax treaty. The transferee must file a copy of the notice by the 20th day after the date of transfer with the Odgen Service Center, P.O. Box 409191, Ogden UT 84409.
  2.  The amount the transferor realizes on the transfer of a U.S. real property interest is zero.

Regards,

Doris Eslinger
Attorney at Law
Eslinger Law Office, PLLC
2200 112th Ave NE, Suite 200
Bellevue, WA 98004
Phone: (425) 451-3237

This message and its attachments are intended only for the addressee.  Please do not forward this message to others without permission.  The information contained in this message is privileged, confidential, and protected by the attorney-client or attorney work product privileges.  Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, disclosure or use of such information is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by return e-mail or you may call our office at (425) 451-3237. Nothing in this message should be interpreted as a digital or electronic signature that can be used to authenticate a contract or other legal document.