[WSBARP] Transfer on Death Deed Questions

Lynn Clare lynnclare at clarelawfirm.com
Mon May 15 09:37:55 PDT 2023

I had this happen back in March - and let's start calling out the title
companies.  Mine was First American. The probate was in King County. They
claimed: "We are unable to insure through a Transfer on Death Deed that
does not vest in all heirs within two years of the death of the Decedent.
The pertinent statute is pasted below.  The concern is that the court could
award property of the Decedent to their heirs within the timeframe
outlined."

The tacked in RCW 11.54.030, Award to Surviving Spouse, Domestic Partner or
Children.  Nothing in that RCW says "24 months". Nothing in it applied to
my testator. IT WAS SIGNED BY AN ATTORNEY

I advised the client to try another title company. He did. They insured
title and we wrapped up the probate about 3 weeks ago.

Lynn Clare
Clare Law Firm