[WSBARP] Lien v Deed of Trust

Stromberg, Spencer spencer at lucentlaw.com
Fri Jun 9 16:46:12 PDT 2023

The option that comes to mind for me is a postnuptial agreement between
child and spouse. Lock in the separate property nature and amount. No need
to encumber title. I've previously done a similar agreement regarding down
payment money in a prenup. We set it up so the gift-recipient child got the
first $x in repayment of the down payment dollars (fixed amount) and then
the couple split any remaining equity according to applicable law (the
wedding was going to be "in the future" so we didn't try to lock in the
characterization of the excess equity).

The main problem with this approach is that the child can unwind it without
the parents' consent by voiding the postnup.

*Spencer A. W. Stromberg*
Attorney at Law

1403 S. Grand Blvd., Suite 201-S
Spokane, WA 99203-2278

P: 509.455.3713
D: 509.828.4644
F: +1.509.455.3718 (must dial 1 before area code)
E: spencer at lucentlaw.com

lucentlaw.com <https://www.lucentlaw.com/>
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/lucentlaw>
LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/company/lucent-law>
Twitter <https://twitter.com/LucentLaw>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are confidential and
may be protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient,
be aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution, or use of this email
or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this email in error,
please notify me and delete it from your system.