[WSBARP] formalities for an easement by necessity

Joseph McIntosh jmcintosh at McCarthyHolthus.com
Sun Jun 4 11:31:19 PDT 2023

Typical case where a split of ownership results in one parcel being without access to the right of way.  The prior owner of both parcels now just owns the neighboring parcel, which abuts the right of way.  There is a dirt (but well-defined) private access road over the neighbor’s parcel, connecting my parcel to the road.

Can a court order, granting easement relief, simply refer to the existing dirt access road?  Can I record that and give sufficient notice to all those who may acquire subsequent interests?

Or, does there need to be a formal survey and legal description of the access road?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Joe McIntosh | Attorney | Washington
[McCarthy Holthus Logo]McCarthy ♦ Holthus, LLP
m. 108 1st Ave S, Ste 400
Seattle, WA 98104
206-399-5034
jmcintosh at mccarthyholthus.com<mailto:jmcintosh at mccarthyholthus.com>

“Service Second to None”

Offices in: AZ | CA | CO | ID | NV | NM | OR | TX | WA

Federal law requires us to advise you that communication with our office could be interpreted as an attempt to collect a debt and that any information obtained will be used for that purpose. The information contained herein may be privileged and protected by the attorney/client and/or other privilege. It is confidential in nature and intended for use by the intended addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby expressly prohibited from dissemination distribution, copy or any use whatsoever of this transmission and its contents. If you receive this transmission in error, please reply or call the sender and arrangements will be made to retrieve the originals from you at no charge.

Should escalation be required, please contact: Lance Olsen Lolsen at mccarthyholthus.com<mailto:Lolsen at mccarthyholthus.com>