[WSBARP] Access Easement & Parking Rights

Stromberg, Spencer spencer at lucentlaw.com
Thu Jun 1 16:38:54 PDT 2023

Paul -

There's virtually no case law in Washington applying the concept of
exclusivity or discussing it. There is a fairly recent decision listing the
possible meanings of "exclusive" (there are 3, if I recall correctly) and
saying that using the term "for the exclusive use [of]" by itself does not
necessarily make the easement unambiguous, thus avoiding the need to review
extrinsic evidence. Johnson v. Lake Cushman Maint. Co., 425 P.3d 560 (Wash.
App. 2018).

My takeaway is that if an easement is to be exclusive, it needs to specify
who and/or which activities are excluded. Therefore, where it's feasible, I
think it's better to just specify the prohibited acts by a given party.

*Spencer A. W. Stromberg*
Attorney at Law

1403 S. Grand Blvd., Suite 201-S
Spokane, WA 99203-2278

P: 509.455.3713
D: 509.828.4644
F: +1.509.455.3718 (must dial 1 before area code)
E: spencer at lucentlaw.com

lucentlaw.com <https://www.lucentlaw.com/>
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/lucentlaw>
LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/company/lucent-law>
Twitter <https://twitter.com/LucentLaw>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are confidential and
may be protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient,
be aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution, or use of this email
or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this email in error,
please notify me and delete it from your system.