[WSBARP] encumbering a partial interest.

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Jul 7 14:39:56 PDT 2023

Cummings v. Anderson, 94 Wn.2d 135, 614 P.2d 1283 (1980);  Iredell v. Iredell, 49 Wn.2d 627, 631 305 P.2d 805 (1957).  When the initial presumption is rebutted by evidence of unequal contributions, a presumption arises that ownership is held in proportion to contributions made by the parties: “Property acquired with contributions from both parties is held as tenants in common, and courts will presume they intended to share the property, in proportion to the amount contributed, where it can be traced, otherwise they share it equally.”  West v. Knowles, 50 Wn.2d 311, 313, 311 P.2d 689 (1957).

I agree that girlfriend can still argue that the unequal contribution was a gift to her, but it’s her burden of production/proof to show it was a gift, and if her only evidence is oral testimony of conversations or transactions with her boyfriend, that evidence is barred by dead man’s statute.

If she can prove a committed intimate relationship instead of “mere” boyfriend/girlfriend, there is theoretically more room to argue for an equitable split that doesn’t match the financial contributions. But in general, whether it’s partition or CIR, the court has broad discretion in equity to fashion a remedy that seems fair.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC