[WSBARP] Action on One Property that Affects Another Property

Inge Fordham inge at fordhamlegal.com
Thu Jan 26 17:50:47 PST 2023

Colleagues:

Is there a doctrine in Washington State similar to the common enemy doctrine that governs whether a property owner may make changes to his or her property to the detriment of another?  Similar question – is there a doctrine that says a homeowner must maintain certain structures on his or her property to avoid destabilizing a neighboring parcel?  I was recently asked to prepare two easements in two separate cases.  In the first, the owner of a parcel adjacent to my client’s property constructed a road that runs along the neighbor’s property adjacent to my client’s carport.  Over time, use of the road has caused a retaining wall that also serves as the foundation to my client’s carport to crack.  Repairs are needed.  The neighbor is willing to grant an easement.  My client wants to know what obligation she has to continue repairing the wall to benefit her neighbor.  Can she just take the wall down, even though it would cause the soils to collapse and damage the road?  My sense is “no,” but I can’t find the legal authority.  In the other case, my client’s foundation is failing due to the failure of a nearby retaining wall located on a neighbor’s property (wall is failing, destabilizing soils that support the foundation).  What obligation does the neighbor have, if any, to maintain the wall to avoid damage to my client’s home?

Can one of you real property gurus please point me in the right direction?

Thank you,

[uc%3fexport=download&id=1W3rEcChy0_E0cCfV5up02mkhwnL6eWIs&revid=0B4P5JoIHdbFaR29EbHlRWHFseFV5STZpSUVGeUNPWldkVDFVPQ]
Inge A. Fordham | Attorney
Fordham Law, PLLC
3218 Sixth Avenue | Tacoma, WA 98406
Office: (253) 348-2657 | Mobile: (206) 778-3131
www.fordhamlegal.com<http://www.fordhamlegal.com>

Confidential Communication: This email is sent to a recipient on behalf of an attorney/law firm, and is information intended exclusively for the individual, entity or company to which it is sent.  This communication may contain proprietary, privileged or confidential information or may otherwise be legally exempt from disclosure other than to the intended recipient.  If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or otherwise disseminate this message or any part of it.  If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by email or other communication and delete all copies of the message.