[WSBARP] Deed signed in counterpart and other issues

TJW tjw at w3net.net
Sat Jan 14 11:17:03 PST 2023

Thanks for you response Christopher. Appreciate you thoughts.

The only reference to the easement is in the deed and that simply says, “AN EASEMENT FOR INGRESS, EGRESS AND UTILITIES 60 FEET IN WIDTH, THE CENTER LINE OF WHICH IS DESCRIBED AS FOLLOWS:” Then it goes on to describe the easement. There is no language of “subject to” or “together with” that would give any guidance and there is no reference to any parcels being benefited. Since the easement being described in on the property being conveyed, it would not be needed to access the property by the owner, so the mere existence of the easement suggests that the owner’s parcel is burdened, but again, no suggestions as to who is benefited unless you go out to the property and see that it is used by other property owners. Nothing about who maintains, so I can only imagine the burdened property owner is responsible for maintenance.

I am going to reach out to the title company and see what they say, if anything.

Sincerely,

Tom

Thomas J. Westbrook

Attorney at Law

324 West Bay Drive NW, Suite 201

Olympia, WA 98502

(360) 866-4000 phone

(360) 866--3832 fax

www.buddbaylaw.com <http://www.buddbaylaw.com/>

COVID POLICY:

Our firm continues to follow guidance from the CDC and Governor Inslee’s office regarding social distancing and the wearing of face coverings, and we encourage the public and our clients to do the same.  Our staff is still working remotely much of the time so electronic communication by phone and email continues to be encouraged.  We appreciate your patience and understanding.