[WSBARP] Is a Landlord Required to Accept Rental Assistance

Paul Neumiller pneumiller at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 10 10:40:16 PST 2023

I don't know the answer if a LL HAS to accept the money, BUT, on a practical basis, I would not want to stand in front of a judge and try to evict a T when there is free rent money on the table.  So, if there are no other grounds or reasons to evict, I can see where the LL would take the money (that should be a lot of rent to build up a litigation war chest) and then evict when the T fails to pay on the fourth month in the future.

Be careful if they ask the LL to sign anything.  In Island County, the Opportunity Council will pay forward only 3 months but require the LL to sign an agreement saying the LL will not evict for 6 months (in small print on the back of the form).  I have pointed this out to the Opportunity Council and they quite admit that the LL could be left hanging for 3 months of nonpayment of rent prior to being able to evict if the LL signs the agreement in order to get the money.