[WSBARP] FW: Partition action

John J. Sullivan, Esq. sullaw at comcast.net
Tue Feb 7 22:01:29 PST 2023

Jonathan:

Many years ago I had a partition action up in Whatcom County. A couple had
divorced about ten years earlier. They had already sold off the acreage of
their farm, retaining a five acre plot as I recall with the home on it. In
the dissolution it was quitclaimed out to them as TIC, subject to an
existing mortgage. The understanding was that they would sell it and the
wife would use her half of the proceeds to move into a condo in town. But
the now ex-husband just frustrated every effort to sell the house, even
though he no longer resided there.

Finally, the ex-wife gave up and lived out the remainder of her life in the
house. She continued to make all mortgage payments, taxes, repairs, etc.
Then she died and her son asked me to handle the probate. Meanwhile the
father had quitclaimed his TIC interest to a troublesome daughter. It was a
mess. But the one thing I recall, and the argument may have been based on
the Cummings case, was that as the ex-wife made mortgage payments her
percentage interest went up and his went down. As I recall, we used a
proration. I think I still have the brief on my computer at work. I will try
to hunt it down tomorrow when I am in the office.

John J. Sullivan