[WSBARP] very off-topic question of civil procedure

Tom Westbrook tjw at w3net.net
Thu Dec 7 10:28:23 PST 2023

Hi Carl,

A district court decision can always be appealed by timely filing in
superior court, but as I recall here in Thurston County that must be done
within 30 days. If that has not been done, then issue preclusion will keep
the losing defendant from successfully pursing the exact claim previously
decided. But the real question is to me is, why do they want to hire an
attorney to pursue $5k claim in Superior Court unless there would be a
really strong attorney’s fee agreement between the parties, which is
unlikely I expect.

Sincerely,

Tom

Thomas J. Westbrook

Attorney at Law

324 West Bay Drive NW, Suite 201

Olympia, WA 98502

(360) 866-4000 phone

(360) 866--3832 fax

www.buddbaylaw.com

COVID POLICY:

*Our firm continues to follow guidance from the CDC and Governor Inslee’s
office regarding social distancing and the wearing of face coverings, and
we encourage the public and our clients to do the same.  Our staff is still
working remotely much of the time so electronic communication by phone and
email continues to be encouraged.  We appreciate your patience and
understanding.*