[WSBARP] Succession Tax, Inheritance Tax, Estate Tax

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Mon Dec 4 09:42:09 PST 2023

Okay, can someone enlighten me here? I know the difference between estate tax and inheritance tax: an estate tax is paid by the decedent's estate and is typically based on the estate's whole value, while an inheritance tax (which Washington doesn't have) is paid by the beneficiary of an estate and is based on what that beneficiary receives.

But in real property transactions when an Estate is selling real property, I routinely see title companies refer to a "lien of succession tax." Whattheheck is a succession tax? Black's law dictionary appears to liken it to an inheritance tax, but Washington hasn't had one of those since 1981<https://leg.wa.gov/CodeReviser/documents/sessionlaw/1981ex2c7.pdf?cite=1981%202nd%20ex.s.%20c%207%20%C2%A7%2083.100.010>.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC